Blog Assignment #3
こんにちは!
For today’s blog assignment, I wanted to share a song that I discovered several years back and really enjoyed. Around 2018/2019, when meme culture was coalescing around the ‘vaporwave’ aesthetic, I (along with several millions of other people, it seems) stumbled upon the song “Plastic Love” (1984) by Mariya Takeuchi in my YouTube recommended feed.

(Perhaps you've seen this image before? This is the most iconic image that many people associate with its 2018/19 surge on YouTube. It comes from an unofficial fan-posted video of "Plastic Love" that amassed around 20 million views before being taken down, even though the image was originally the album cover for a completely different song by Takeuchi.)
I was immediately drawn to the song's nostalgic, city pop sound and quickly began begging my mom to play it during our drives to school. Interestingly enough, I never really took the time to consider the lyrics of the song until today. Its lyrics depict a woman who has recently experienced heartbreak and frequents discos and casual flings (‘plastic love’) to mask her isolation and loneliness. It’s a melancholic song, and it’s fascinating that it resurfaced after almost four decades to capture the attention of new global audiences. “Plastic Love” is a song that has been truly timeless in its impact!

(Perhaps you've seen this image before? This is the most iconic image that many people associate with its 2018/19 surge on YouTube. It comes from an unofficial fan-posted video of "Plastic Love" that amassed around 20 million views before being taken down, even though the image was originally the album cover for a completely different song by Takeuchi.)
I was immediately drawn to the song's nostalgic, city pop sound and quickly began begging my mom to play it during our drives to school. Interestingly enough, I never really took the time to consider the lyrics of the song until today. Its lyrics depict a woman who has recently experienced heartbreak and frequents discos and casual flings (‘plastic love’) to mask her isolation and loneliness. It’s a melancholic song, and it’s fascinating that it resurfaced after almost four decades to capture the attention of new global audiences. “Plastic Love” is a song that has been truly timeless in its impact!
Comments
Post a Comment