After doing a bit of exploring online, I am very fascinated by all the different uses of katakana that I have seen. We have already seen katakana used for loanwords, like テレビ (television). I did not realize, however, that many katakana loanwords are borrowed from languages beyond just English; for example パン is a katakana word for bread—just like the word "pan" used in Spanish and Portuguese. One of the most interesting discoveries for me was that there are many loanwords that both English and Japanese have borrowed from another culture. For example, I never considered that "rucksack" might not be an originally English word. It turns out that the word "rucksack" actually originates in Germany, with "“Rücken” meaning “back” and "sack" meaning "bag." The katakana version of this is リュックサック (Ryukkusakku). Isn't that interesting? I think that the use of katakana in these contexts really makes the words stand out from typical Jap...
こんにちわ!My name is Brendan, and I am excited for this upcoming semester studying Japanese with you all! I have enjoyed various aspects of Japanese culture from a very young age, from video games to food and television. The first video game that I ever played was Pokémon HeartGold , and I have been a fan of Nintendo ever since. Over the years, my brother has introduced me to other Japanese media, as well. Recently, I have been watching the first season of One-Punch Man. I think it would be very cool to consume these media in their native language and understand what is being said. I am excited to learn more about Japanese culture and get to know all of you better. どうぞよろしく。
I had a pretty relaxed spring break. For several weeks, I have been recovering from a pretty prolonged viral infection and have finally reached a point where I feel almost totally back to normal. It was nice to just chill at home, watch movies with my family, and meet up with some old friends. Here are some activities that I do often or rarely: 1. わたしはあまりあさごはんをたべます。 2. わたしはよくみずをのみます。 3. わたしはよくテレビをみます。 4. わたしはよくべんきょうをします。 5. わたしはあまりゲームをします。(It can feel like a lot of work to play video games when I want to relax. I've come to enjoy just watching playthroughs on YouTube.) (Image generated by Gemini. Don't ask me why it counts "1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5".)
Comments
Post a Comment